Green 10 The ten pillars of
The sum total of miles travelled to make a delivery to a foodservice site from the distributor or local supplier.
Our definition sets aside the argument that food miles are increased through the purchase of produce sourced from overseas growers and producers.
The number of miles travelled by the supply chain servicing a given outlet is automatically calculated and logged within the epsys e-trading system. This provides the means to monitor and therefore target a reduction in mileage.
- Too many deliveries by too many suppliers results in too much carbon – simple!
- Rationalise your suppliers
- Seek out suppliers with depots nearer to your trading unit.
- Request less frequent deliveries (can also result in a lower cost of goods!).
- Demonstrate to consumers and clients your commitment to food miles reduction.
- Re-affirm your strategy by reporting on progress through consumer communication.